Saturday, August 13, 2011

#347: Cheesy Bacon Onion Dip

Sorry for the blurry photo...I forgot my camera and had to use her ipod.  Photos really aren't that great on an ipod are they?  You get the gist of the photo!

I was a little scared to try
this recipe.  I mean, I like onions but I don't LOVE onions and I was very afraid this was going to be overpowering.  NOT THE CASE!  This was good!  Cheesy, bacony, a little sweet....mmmmm!  I served these with Ritz crackers and the buttery flavor from the cracker combined with the cream cheese mixture made a wonderful pairing!  Make this!  I think it took 5 minutes to throw together too.  I made it, brought it to my aunt's house, and then just baked it there.  Easy, travels well, quick...anything else you need to persuade you to try this??

8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1/2 cup real bacon bits 

1/4 cup onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a pie dish or other small oven-save dish with cooking spray and set aside. (I made it in an 8x8 pan).  In a medium bowl blend together cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo until creamy. Stir in 3/4 cup Swiss cheese (about half). Season with salt and pepper.

Sautée your onions for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat using 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Add to the creamed mixture and stir until evenly distributed. Spread this mixture evenly in the bottom of your prepared baking dish.

Next, sprinkle the remaining Swiss cheese over the top of the creamed mixture. Finally, sprinkle the bacon evenly over the top. Season with a little bit of freshly ground pepper on top. At this point, you can cover it and put it in the fridge for up to 5 days or continue and bake it up!

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dip is bubbly and cheese begins to turn golden brown. Serve with crackers or chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment