Monday, August 29, 2011

#360: Recreated "Maid Rite" Sandwiches

We used to have a Maid Rite restaurant in our town, but it closed down.  It wasn't my favorite place to eat, but when we did eat there, we thought it was good "loose meat" sandwiches...so reminds me of Roseanne episodes.  :)  The original recipe for this says to let it cook in the crockpot for a very long time...but this is a pretty dry mixture so there was NO WAY this could cook for 5-6 hours let alone overnight.  I made the recipe as indicated but added about 3/4 - 1 c of beef stock to the crockpot so there was some "juiciness" to this.  I wasn't sure Brian was going to like this so I had him try it after it had been in the crockpot for about 3 hours.  I was certain he was going to tell me to add ketchup (so it would be more like sloppy joes) but surprisingly he said, "Tastes good to me.  I'd eat it like this."  Score! 

Okay, I liked this when it was fresh, but I didn't love this reheated tonight.  I'm hoping/thinking it's just a pregnancy thing, but I really wasn't impressed with this at all.  It would have been great with some ketchup, brown sugar and worcheshire sauce though!  :)  Brian still enjoyed it and took it for leftovers, but this isn't something I'd be dying to make again.


1 lb. Hamburger (I used ground turkey)
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon mustard
salt to taste

Put all ingredients in slow cooker on low 5 to 6 hours or overnight.  Be sure to use a very low fat hamburger.  Serve on hamburger buns or kaiser rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment