Saturday, January 20, 2018

#2,059: Crockpot Cube Steak

A lot of cube steak recipes I've found either have you browning on the stovetop (too much work and clean up) and/or use cream of mushroom soup.  My husband has an apparent "allergy" to mushrooms (I don't believe it), so I was looking for a recipe that used different ingredients.  Happily, I came across this recipe that just dumps everything into the crockpot (no mushroom soup included either) and cooks all day.  We were big fans of this recipe and I would certainly make this one again!  The recipe calls for cornstarch and water to thicken up the liquid, but I did not need to do this.  Our gravy was thick enough for us!  

1 packet of au jus gravy mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can French onion soup
1/2 cup water
1 ½-2 pounds cube steak

to thicken gravy:
3 tbsp cornstarch (I omitted)
3 tbsp cold water (I omitted)

In the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker, combine cream of chicken soup, French Onion soup, packet of au jus and water.  Stir well.  Put cubed steak in slow cooker with gravy mixture.
Cover slow cooker and cook steak on low for 6-8 hours.

(I didn't have to do these last steps). After cooking, it's time to thicken gravy. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Stir mixture into crock pot.
Turn the setting to high and cook for 30 minutes (until gravy is thickened.)

No comments:

Post a Comment