Sunday, January 7, 2018

#2,049: Crockpot Sweet and Spicy Beef and Sweet Potato Stew

I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this recipe, but I ended up loving it!  Although I will admit it was a tad bit salty, so make sure to use low sodium chicken broth AND soy sauce (I used coconut aminos which are lighter on the sodium). I loved this.  I only used half a can of the coconut milk so I froze the rest to make this again!  

1 1/2- 2lbs lean ground turkey or ground beef
2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 large orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces about 1 inch 
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce (I used coconut aminos)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup Stevia-in-the-Raw granulated sweetener (I used 2 packets of stevia)
2 T granulated Monk fruit sweetener (I omitted)
2-3 T Chili Garlic Sauce 
2 tsp. minced ginger 
2 tsp. minced garlic 
1 can coconut milk 
1/2 cup green onions sliced in 1 inch pieces
cooked cauliflower rice (I threw mine in frozen and just cooked it until it was heated through)

In a pan cook the ground beef or turkey and the onions, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks. When cooked through, add it to the crockpot.  

Add the sweet potatoes to the crockpot.


Mix together the soy sauce, chicken stock, sweeteners of your choice, Chili Garlic Sauce, minced ginger, and minced garlic and pour over ingredients.  Cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until sweet potatoes are done and starting to fall apart just a little.  

When the sweet potatoes are done, add the riced cauliflower, can of coconut milk and the green onion pieces, turn heat to low, and cook 30 minutes more.  

Garnish with thinly sliced green onions, and crispy noodles if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment