Sunday, January 7, 2018

#2,041: Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup

I made this soup for my neighbor, and selfishly, saved a bowl for myself because the meatballs and noodles were calling my name!  Although I really liked this recipe, it had a bit too much kale in it for my liking.  Also, you add the kale in towards the end, and I think I would have liked it more if I would have added the kale in at the beginning and it had a chance to get even softer.  I would definitely make this recipe again though, it was so good.  And the hardest part was cooking the meatballs ahead of time (I do love when everything gets dumped into the crockpot at one time!).  Also, I made my noodles ahead of time and let them completely cool before adding them in at the end.  I didn't want them to cook in the liquid and continue cooking, and get too soft/mushy. 

8 cups chicken broth
3 large carrots peeled and chopped
1 small onion diced
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste

Meatballs:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic minced
1 slice bread torn into very small pieces (I used a bit of breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive or other cooking oil (if sauteing)

Soup Add-ins
8 ounces endive or escarole trimmed and torn into 1/2 inch strips (I used kale)
1 cup acini di pepe pasta or other small pasta, uncooked
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a slow cooker combine the following: chicken broth, carrots, onion, parsley, oregano, and garlic. Turn on low heat for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.

For the meatballs:
In a medium bowl combine, egg, ground beef, onion, parsley, garlic, bread, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Shape into 1 inch balls.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake meatballs for 15 minutes or until no longer pink and cooked through.  Place the meatballs in slow cooker with chicken broth, vegetables, and seasonings.

20 minutes prior to mealtime, add the pasta and torn endive or escarole to slow cooker. Cover again and cook until pasta and greens are tender. Ladle into bowls and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment