Sunday, January 7, 2018

#2,051: Pickled Snap Peas

I had a pretty big bag of snap peas that I just couldn't eat fast enough, and I was afraid they were going to go bad.  So I started looking for other ways/recipes that I could use them in.  I found a recipe to pickle them, and since that's so out of my wheelhouse, I was a bit reluctant to try it.  The recipe says to use a non-reactive pot...do you know how long my husband and I debated what that meant and if we had a pot we could use?!  In the end I deided to just use my non-stick pot and go for it.  If it is reactive or not, I guess I'll never know, but it didn't negatively affect this recipe!  

1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon pickling salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pound sugar snap peas, stemmed and strung
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 or 2 small dried chile peppers, slit lengthwise (I used a few shakes of crushed red pepper)
2 tarragon sprigs (I omitted)

In a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let the liquid cool.

Pack the peas, garlic, chile peppers, and tarragon into a 1-quart jar. Pour the cooled liquid over the peas, and cover the jar with a nonreactive cap.


Store the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before eating the peas (I started eating them 24 hours later...yum!). Refrigerated, they will keep for several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment