Saturday, January 20, 2018

#2,056: Creamy Garlic Parmesan Orzo


It was one of those nights when I didn't know what I wanted to eat, but for some reason orzo pasta was calling to me.  I was about to make some traditional red sauce to eat with it, but I wanted something creamier instead.  So a quick pinterest search led me to this recipe for a quick (yes!!) creamy garlic Parmesan orzo instead.  Thankfully I had pretty much all the ingredients on hand, and the one I didn't have (half and half) was easy enough to substitute out!  I added some peas and carrots for more veggies and cooked up some chicken sausage, and my dinner was ready in about 20 minutes!  I LOVED this dish!  It totally hit the spot for creamy noodles that I was wanting!  I would definitely make this one again!


2 Cups Orzo
2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable stock, or water
4 Tablespoons Butter
1/4 Cup Onion, diced very small
3 Garlic Cloves, pressed or minced
3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/3 Cup Half and Half (I used heavy cream and a little bit of skim milk)
2-3 Tbsp. Chopped Parsley or Basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1/2 – 1 tsp. salt
Black pepper to taste
Olive Oil

Begin by heating about 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet, let it warm up for about a minute. Add the orzo and lightly stir it around the pan so it toasts, this will give the orzo a nutty flavor. When the orzo starts to turn golden in color, add the broth or water starting with just 1/2 cup. Let the orzo absorb the liquid entirely, then add the rest. Give it a stir, bring to a quick boil and turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.  (I had to add about a cup or more of water for this to cook completely.)

Meanwhile, add the butter to a large saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s melted add the chopped onion and garlic (I also added some grated carrots at this point too). Season with salt and pepper. Let that simmer for about 2-3 minutes until it softens (I cooked it for about 7 minutes so the carrots could soften more).
Add the half and half, cheese and parsley (or basil). Season again with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust.  
Add the creamy garlic sauce to the cooked orzo and stir. (This is when I also threw in some frozen peas and heated for about another minute until they warmed up).  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment