Sunday, January 7, 2018

#2,047: Pizza Sliders

My family likes any form of "pizza" and I have been really enjoying Hawaiian roll sandwiches, so when I found this recipe which combines them both, I was very happy!  This filling was enough for us to have this for two dinners, so that made it even better!  (I got 9 sandwiches the first night, and made 12 the 2nd night).  You could easily adapt this to the flavors that you like the best (adding in some chopped veggies or pepperoni!), but my crew prefers just sausage and cheese.

1 package dinner rolls (we used Hawaiian rolls)Small package pepperoni slices (I omitted)
1 lb bulk pork sausage, cooked (I also added some sauteed onions)
1/4 cup tomato sauce (We used a jar of pizza sauce)
About 1 cup of shredded mozzarella (we used thin sliced mozzarella squares)
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons oregano
I also added a few shakes of garlic powder


Preheat oven to 325F. Slice the sheet of rolls across the middle, resulting in a top layer and bottom layer of 12 connected rolls.

If using sausage, cook it first then mix with the pizza sauce. 


Apply a layer of pizza sauce to the bottom half of the bread. Top with a generous handful of cheese to encourage the pepperoni (or other toppings) to stay in place. Cover with a layer of pepperoni. Place the remaining mozzarella cheese in an even layer over top of the pepperoni and top with the top of the sandwich rolls.(I did a layer of the meat mixture since the sauce was already mixed into it, then topped it with cheese)

Melt the butter in the microwave, heating for 20 seconds and then stirring to dissolve any milk solids. Add the oregano and garlic powder. Pour or brush it on the top of the bread.
Bake the pizza sliders for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and heated through.  If the rolls start to brown too much before the meat is hot and the cheese is melted, cover with foil and continue cooking.  Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment