Sunday, January 7, 2018

#2,054: Pronto Stuffed Peppers


I was either out of some of the ingredients or I added more of things I had on hand.  Although I thought this was a tad bland (it definitely needs salt and pepper), it still didn't stop me from eating it for 2 meals!  I loved how quickly this was able to be thrown together.  And I am not the biggest fan of soft cooked peppers, so I didn't pre-cook the peppers in the microwave and just cooked it all one time.  Eventually (not a surprise), I ended up throwing away the pepper and just ate the filling.  That's how I pretty much eat regular stuffed peppers anyways though.

Next time I'm going to add some cooked up ground meat (ground pork sausage, leftover taco meat, or chicken sausage would be great I think).  

2 large sweet peppers, halved lengthwise
1 cup canned stewed tomatoes (I hate stewed tomatoes. I used 1/2 can of petite diced)
1/3 cup instant brown rice (I used jasmine rice because it was already cooked and leftover)
2 tablespoons hot water
3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained (out of kidney beans so I used black beans)
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed (sadly I was out of corn) 
2 green onions, thinly sliced
I also threw in some small pieces of fresh broccoli and grated carrots)
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Place peppers in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the tomatoes, rice and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the beans, corn, onions and pepper flakes; spoon into peppers.

Sprinkle with cheeses. Microwave, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment