Sunday, January 7, 2018

#2,046: Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup


Since I enjoyed the Crockpot Zuppa Toscana recipe I made a few days ago so much, I decided to give this one a try and make it a bit healthier by eliminating the carbs.  (It has heavy cream and sausage in it still, so not sure how "healthy" this actually is, but I was going for low carb!).  Although I do like potatoes, I think I might have enjoyed this one a tiny bit more.  It was a little bit greasy though, so I next time I'll probably not only drain the sausage (like the directions state), but also put it on a paper towel-lined plate for a bit to soak up even more of the grease.  I actually made this before I went to bed, so it was ready in the morning (I wanted to be able to eat it for lunch and not have to get up in the middle of the night to start it).  Also, I think I liked this one so much because I cut back on the kale, and it was added in right in the beginning, so it was quite soft and not overpowering!  I will definitely make this recipe again! 

1 pound mild or hot ground Italian sausage
1 tablespoon oil
½ cup finely diced onion or 1 medium onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
36 ounces chicken or vegetable stock
1 large cauliflower head, diced into small florets
3 cups chopped kale
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup heavy cream

Brown the ground sausage and onion in a skillet over medium heat until done.  Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and place it into at least a 6-quart slow cooker. Discard the grease.

Add the chicken or vegetable stock, cauliflower florets, kale, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Mix until combined.  Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.  Add the heavy cream and mix until combined.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment