Sunday, January 7, 2018

#2,044: 3 ingredient Drop Biscuits

Last year, my aunt came over to fry some calamari for Christmas and brought with her a whole lot of shortening.  However, the deep fryer we used, only uses canola oil so she left behind all that shortening.  It's not something I cook for often (ahem, ever), and last winter, I used some of it in Pre-k to teach my kiddos about blubber.  But I still have a whole bunch of it left.  So I wanted to try and find an easy recipe to use it in so I could use it up.  I found this recipe which was super easy, but seemed like it would be lacking a lot of flavor.  So I added in some garlic powder and shredded cheese too.  Although we liked this recipe (and my husband happily ate the leftovers for breakfast), I thought these were a bit dry, so you might want to slather it in butter or gravy.  These definitely aren't the healthiest thing we've eaten or made! 

2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 c shortening, cubed
2/3 or 3/4 c milk or buttermilk, or more as needed
I really felt these needed more flavor since we were eating these with dinner, so I added about a cup or so of shredded cheddar, and a few shakes of garlic powder.

Preheat the oven to 500°F. Coat a baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
Measure flour in a large bowl. Cut in shortening or butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas.
Blend in just enough milk with a fork until the dough leaves sides of the bowl. If needed, add more milk to form a soft dough.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheet.
Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment