Saturday, November 29, 2014

#1,382: Crockpot White Chicken Chili Soup

As you noticed in the title, I called this a chili AND a soup.  The original recipe calls this recipe chili, but there was so much liquid in it, I honestly think it was more of a soup.  I added a second can of white beans that I pureed to the mixture to try and thicken it up.  It helped a little, but not necessarily enough for my liking.  Although I enjoyed this (although I think it needs some cilantro added to it), I don't know if I would make this again for myself.  When I think of chili, I like the kind with tomatoes and ground beef or turkey instead.  It was a nice change of pace though for me...and would be really good with some crushed tortilla chips added on top!

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 cups chicken stock
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, with liquids from beans
I added a second can of white beans that I pureed before adding
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilis, with liquids from chilis
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano


Add chicken to a 4-quart, heavy bottomed Dutch oven or stockpot. Add chicken stock and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Shred chicken with two forks and then add back to the liquid.

Add garlic and onion to stockpot, white beans, green chilis, dried oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh oregano. Stir until well-combined. Taste for flavor and adjust to your preference.


Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment