Wednesday, November 26, 2014

#1,378: Paleo Eggplant Meatballs

Let me just say that I do not think these taste anything like a meatball.  To me this is more like a veggie patty.  Have you ever eaten spinach patty?  No?  Is this just an Italian thing??  This is the texture it reminds me of though.  It's soft and a little eggy.  I added a lot more almond meal/flour to hold this together and it was still super moist/soft.  I couldn't roll these into balls at all. I just used a spoon and poured some of the mixture on a cookie sheet and baked it for about 30 minutes.

Now with all that said, I loved this!  I would definitely make these again and I thought they reheated well.  Delicious...but NOT a meatball!



1 medium size eggplant, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp almond meal, more as needed based on eggplant size (I used probably 1/3 cup!)
1 egg
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
Homemade or store-bought spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven to 350.  Peel eggplant and cut into cubes, place water in the bottom of pot and steam or boil eggplant until soft.  Remove eggplant and squeeze out excess water.  Place eggplant in a bowl and combine with ingredients.


(See my comments/notes above) Line a baking sheet with slipat or parchment paper.  Roll out balls.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender and formed.  Serve with spaghetti sauce if desired.  

No comments:

Post a Comment