Saturday, November 15, 2014

#1,370: One Pan Spicy Taco Rice Skillet


When I found this recipe, I saw that the original poster said that this was best if it sat overnight.  That in itself got my attention because that meant I could make it on the weekend and then serve it during the week for a quick week-night dinner.  Yes please!  This really was a simple recipe to make, and it would be an easy one in itself to make during the week.  However, I loved that it was able to be made ahead of time.  This is my  kind of meal...I love rice and taco meat!  However, my family also likes this meat/filling inside a quesadilla or on top of some tortilla chips (like nachos).  It's a pretty versatile recipe!  Add veggies you like; traditional taco toppings like sour cream and olives; serve on top of tortilla chips, etc.  Make it your own and personalize it to your family preferences!

Personally, how I made this for my family, it was pretty bland and boring.  I would definitely add the can of tomatoes and peppers next time for my liking, as well as some olives, black beans and sour cream.  Mmmm...it sounds so much better already!  :)


1lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 large onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced (I omitted)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (I added diced green chilies but not the tomatoes)
1 cup salsa (I pureed mine so my family would eat it!)
1 cup rice
1 cup water
1 cup beef stock
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
green onions, to garnish

In a large pan, brown beef and onions. When beef is lightly browned, add peppers.
Cook until beef is fully cooked, onions and peppers are soft.  Add can of tomatoes with green chili- no need to drain. Add salsa, rice, water and stock.
Stir well to combine. Add in spices and mix, cover.  Let simmer on low until rice is soft and liquid has cooked off.  Top with cheese, stir in until it melts.


No comments:

Post a Comment