Saturday, November 15, 2014

#1,372: Paleo Pumpkin Poppers


After trying one of these poppers, I was sure (I would have put money on it) that my kids wouldn't try or like these.  I was only right with one of the kids.  The other two however, were surprisingly big fans of this.  Especially Matthew!  This is pretty much all he wanted to eat for lunch today.  I thought this was going to be dense like a doughnut type texture, but it is very spongy because of the eggs.  (At least I know this kid had protein after consuming so many!).  I personally probably won't make them again since not all of my kids were fans, but it was a good one time recipe for us (and would be a great way to use up leftover pumpkin puree!).

1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup butter, melted
5 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut flour (I used almond flour)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
coconut oil for greasing muffin tins

For coating:
1/2 cup grass-fed butter, melted (I omitted)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons organic maple sugar (I used organic maple syrup)

Preheat oven to 350 F and use coconut oil to coat muffin tin.

In a bowl, combine, butter, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin and honey. Whisk until thoroughly mixed.
Sift together coconut flour, salt and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Whisk to combine.  Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the wet ingredients. Add baking soda, stir until baking soda is mixed through. Fill mini-muffin tins until almost full.

Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes by either removing them from the pan and setting them on a cooling rack or leaving them in the pan and tipping  them on their sides.

Melt the butter on the stove top on low heat, watching it carefully to make sure that it doesn’t burn. Place melted butter in a small bowl. Mix maple sugar and cinnamon in a separate small bowl. After poppers have cooled for a few minutes, dip them in the butter and roll them in the sugar mixture.  (I drizzled some maple syrup on the warm muffins, then sprinkled some organic sugar on it and tossed them around to combine).  

No comments:

Post a Comment