Saturday, November 1, 2014

#1,359: Zucchini Lasagna

I wanted to love this recipe so much.  I had some extra zucchini in my fridge that I wanted to use so I figured it would be a super easy recipe, which it pretty much was, but I just am not totally in love with the flavors of this.  I think if I used actual pasta noodles in addition to the zucchini, I might have loved it more, but that defeats the purpose of this healthy recipe.  Will I eat this since I have a pan of it?  Yes.  Will I make this again?  Probably not.  I may however try this again, but use my Vegetti to make zucchini noodles and eat the meat/sauce on top of it that way. 

1 lb Ground Beef
1 cup Green Bell Peppers, chopped
1 cup Onion, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh Basil
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp fresh Oregano, or dried
Zucchini, sliced thinly
1 1/4 cup white, raw Mushrooms, sliced
15 oz Tomato Sauce, no salt added (I used organic pasta sauce instead)
3 cloves Garlic, minced
6 oz Tomato Paste, no salt added (I omitted)
1 tsp Salt and Pepper, to taste

Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium heat, stirring frequently.  Add in garlic, onion and green pepper, and continue to sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and tomato sauce.

Add in parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, continue to stir. Bring sauce to a light boil, then remove from heat. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with coconut oil.

Place a thin layer (1/2 inch) of the sauce in the baking dish. Layer zucchini and mushrooms over sauce, and repeat, alternating layering of sauce, then zucchini and mushrooms. Bake lasagna at 325°F for 15 minutes, covered with foil.

After 15 minutes, remove foil, increase temperature to 350°F, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment