Monday, December 30, 2013

#1,143: Paleo Enchilada Bake


 So as you can see, there are two pictures of this recipe.  The photo at left is how I ate this enchilada bake: mixed with riced cauliflower and some avocado.  I tried serving this to my family in a quesadilla but it was too watery and they ate it, but didn't love it.  So the next day (for leftovers) I added some cooked rice to theirs and made it into actual enchilada.  Shockingly, they liked it less!  Whatever, I thought it was good. 

Personally, this is anything but an "enchilada bake."  I would call this "chicken in enchilada sauce." 

They have no idea I had 2 cans of tomatoes in this.  Shhh.  I had to puree my enchilada sauce though so it wouldn't be chunky for them.   

Sauce:
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup organic chicken broth
1 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. raw honey
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 14.5 oz cans Muir Glen fire-roasted crushed or diced tomatoes (I used 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes and 1/2 can of chopped mild green chilies)

filling:
1 lb. cooked and shredded chicken
1 tsp. olive oil
1 chopped red bell pepper (I omitted)
1 sliced onion (I omitted)
shredded dairy-free or raw cheddar cheese (optional)
garnishes: minced cilantro, chopped green onions, avocado

To make sauce: 
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and onion, cooking until onion softens (stir frequently to keep garlic from burning). Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

For enchilada bake: 
Preheat oven to 375.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add red pepper and onion, cooking until tender.

(Forget this...I mixed it all together).  Add chicken and stir to combine and heat. Spoon 1/3 of enchilada sauce over the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with a layer of chicken mixture. Repeat layers 2 more times. Sprinkle with cheese, if using.

Bake for 20-30 minutes. Garnish with minced cilantro and green onions, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment