Saturday, December 7, 2013

#1,128: Butternut Squash Casserole


Although I absolutely love fresh butternut squash, I've been buying organic frozen squash lately because I don't have to spend the time cutting it.  I definitely feel that it gets softer/mushier than fresh squash and I prefer fresh over frozen, but the convenience and less time it takes to use frozen squash is winning me over.  I figured this recipe would be a perfect recipe to use frozen squash in since I could skip the step of boiling it first. 

The recipe suggests pureeing the squash before adding the other ingredients, but I like texture so I left mine just lightly mushed.  :)   See the red text below for my (easier) version of making this recipe.  I love this recipe.  It's really, really good!!

5 lbs butternut squash, cubed
1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil

1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used cashews)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Boil squash for 20-30 minutes until soft.  Drain squash in a colander.  Add coconut oil to pot and let melt. 

Add squash and shredded coconut to the pot with the coconut oil, and mix with a hand blender.  Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cinnamon to taste.  Put pureed squash in a casserole pan, and then top with chopped walnuts and some extra shredded coconut and cinnamon. Bake for 40 minutes. If nuts start browning, you can cover the pan with foil for the last 10-15 minutes.

So here's how I cooked mine with the frozen squash:
In an 8x8 pan combine coconut oil and frozen squash.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Add coconut, seasonings and walnuts.  Stir to combine.  Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until walnuts are starting to brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment