Monday, December 30, 2013

#1, 144: Zucchini and Sweet Potato Latkes


Mmm..don't those look good.  This was a very easy meal to prepare, but I do suggest one change to the original recipe: Squeeze out the liquid before making these into patties.  The zucchini holds so much moisture my first two latkes were so moist and almost too wet.  I squeezed out the liquid in the last one I made and it was so much crispier and tasted better.  This doesn't make a lot so if you want some leftovers, I suggest doubling this recipe.  Overall, I enjoyed this though and will eat it again for lunch tomorrow.  I'm going to attempt to get the kids to try it, but besides eating the one or two bites I make them eat, I doubt they'll eat much more. 
 
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup shredded sweet potato
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine the zucchini, sweet potato and egg in a medium bowl.  In a small bowl, mix the coconut flour and spices together.  Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until fully combined.  Heat the ghee and olive oil in a medium nonstick pan.  Divide the mixture into four equal portions and drop into the pan, pressing down with a fork until a 1/2 inch thick cake is formed.  Cook on medium heat until golden and crisp, then flip carefully and cook the other side.  Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.  Season with an additional sprinkle of kosher salt.  Serve hot.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment