Friday, December 13, 2013

#1,129: Mini Pork Meatloaves

Let me start by saying that I enjoy meatloaf, but I do not love pork.  So I was a little nervous about making this recipe and it's been sitting on my pinterest board for about 6 months! We had a huge difference of opinions on this recipe (which is NOT pretty).  Of the five of us, FOUR of us LOVED this recipe.  Brian on the other hand did not like it at all.  Matthew, my 21 month old ate 1 1/2 of those mini meatloaves!!  Because the kids enjoyed this recipe so much, I'm sure I will make it again...maybe on a night that Brian isn't coming home for dinner.  In my opinion, I'm sorry I waited so long to make this one.

1 pound ground pork
1 14-oz jar pasta sauce
1 1/2 cups Italian cheese blend, shredded
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, salt-free blend
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh basil, (optional)

In large mixing bowl combine ground pork, 3/4 cup of pasta sauce, 1 cup of cheese, bread crumbs, egg, seasoning and salt. Shape mixture into 4 oval-shaped loaves (about 6 inches in length) and place on a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. 

Top each loaf with some of the remaining pasta sauce, remainder of the cheese and fresh tomato slices. (As you can see from the photo above, I was too lazy and omitted this step).

Bake in 425 degrees F oven for 15 minutes or until cooked through to a final internal temperature of 160 degrees F.  (Mine cooked for about 30 minutes and I needed to drain off some of the grease half way though).  Garnish with basil leaves if desired and serve with any remaining sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment