Sunday, December 22, 2013

#1,137: Slow Cooker Kielbasa and White Bean Stew with Tomatoes and Kale


This soup was really good, but I think I ruined it by putting in so much kale.  I like kale, so I figured I'd add just a little extra...well that's all I tasted and started picking around it.  Next time, I'm going to scale back just a bit.  Although the photo above was a good bowl because it had just the right amount.

1 lb. (2 cups) dried small white beans
1 onion, chopped into fairly small pieces
1 T finely minced garlic
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
6 cups canned chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) petite dice tomatoes
14 oz. Kielbasa sausage, cut into half-moon slices 
4 packed cups fresh kale, coarsely chopped
freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)

Pick over the beans, removing any broken ones, and add beans to the slow cooker.  Chop onion, mince the garlic, and add the spices to the slow cooker.  Add the chicken stock and diced tomatoes to the slow cooker and start to cook on low.  

When beans are done to your liking (for me this took about 5 hours on low), chop the kale, turn the slow cooker to high, and add the kale and sausage.  Cook about 30 minutes more.  Serve hot, with freshly grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on the stew if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment