Saturday, December 7, 2013

#1,127: Taco Pie

This recipe is dedicated to my cousin Mike Ryan!  I appreciate any of you that regularly follow my blog and I'm sorry that I'm not getting recipes posted as often as I normally do (or I would like!).  So...hopefully this is a recipe you all will enjoy...but especially Mike...even if it isn't a crockpot recipe  :)

There is absolutely nothing bad I can say about this recipe...except maybe that it isn't the healthiest.  But who doesn't love taco meat, crescent rolls, Doritos and cheese??  I also added a jar of salsa to the taco meat to get in some veggies.  I was going to make and 8x8 pan instead of a 9x13, but I'm glad I went with the original recipe amount because my family devoured this!  All five of us enjoyed this one!!  Definitely going into our favorite meal category and another meal I need to add to Allison's recipe collection/ future cookbook.

1 lb. Ground Turkey (or ground beef)
1 tube Crescent Rolls
1 cup crushed Taco Flavored Doritos
1 packet Taco Seasoning
8 oz jar of salsa
8oz. Sour cream
8 oz Shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend Cheese

Cook ground beef until browned, add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water, stir and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Press crescent roll onto bottom of pie pan or casserole dish (I used a 9x13 pan).  Add cooked meat to crescent roll crust.  Add 1/2 cup of crushed Taco flavored Doritos on top of meat.  Add 8 oz. sour cream, spread over meat and chips.  Add cheese and top with remaining 1/2 cup of crushed chips

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, cut and serve warm.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious!!! Out of curiousity, do you think it would work well with a pie shell base instead of crescent rolls??? How would that affect cooking temp/time? I appreciate your thoughts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I would personally make this with a pie shell crust instead. I would think that would be too sweet and flaky rather than savory. If you did use one, I would assume you might have to pre-bake the crust w/out anything on it and then add the rest of the ingredients half way through and cook until heated through and the pie crust is done. Sorry, I'm not great w/pies so I'm not sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your response! I decided to bag the pie crust idea and stick with your recipe as you had it! It was amazing, wonderful, fabulous, and ooooooh soooo yummy!!!! Thank you for sharing it with us! :o)

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as we did. :)

      Delete