Saturday, December 7, 2013

#1,126: Spicy Sausage, Kale and Sweet Potato Soup

Holy deliciousness!! This soup was so easy to make and I am seriously loving it for lunches and dinner this week.  I wasn't sure I was going to love the kale in this, but I really, really do.  I can't wait to make this again.  I used Hormel's natural choice smoked sausage so mine isn't really spicy but it still is good and it definitely gave a nice flavor to the broth.  Love this one!

olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 large sweet potato, diced small (skin on or off)
3 cups Smoked Sausage, sliced into 1” rounds or cubes
1 (19oz) can chickpeas (optional) (I omitted)
1 tsp paprika (sweet or smoked)
1/2 tsp ground coriander (I omitted)
1 tsp chipotle powder (I used crushed red pepper)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt (I omitted)
6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
4 cups kale or spinach
feta or goat cheese, to garnish (optional) (I omitted)
fresh ground pepper, to garnish

Drizzle a large pot with a few glugs of olive oil and turn the heat on to medium. Add the diced onion and sweat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sweet potato, sausage, chickpeas, spices & salt and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer. Let cook for 10-15 minutes or until sweet potato has softened. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, if needed. Add the greens and stir for 1 minute. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese, if using, and fresh ground pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment