Sunday, August 26, 2012

#654: Healthified Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing

I made this salad to eat with my mom one day that she was visiting.  Then we decided to go to Fazoli's instead so I didn't eat it.  Instead, I shared this with my friends/co-workers Erin and Lora.  (Photo courtesy of Erin!)  I didn't think I was going to get to try this, but since my mom never ate hers either, I had a second one to eat for lunch the following day.

Although I liked this, I didn't love it.  All of the flavors were good, I loved the peanuts and the edamade in this, but it just didn't wow me.  Salads should be so good that you can't stop eating them.  It didn't do that for me.  Maybe it was the spinach.  Maybe it was because I made it in a mason jar and didn't eat it for 2 days.  I don't know.  But regardless, it wasn't my favorite salad so I won't be making this one again. 

1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup bulgur
1 bag (10 oz) Cascadian Farm® frozen shelled edamame
1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded and cut into thin bite-size strips
1/2 cup coarsely shredded carrot
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
4 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 tablespoons finely chopped honey-flavor dry-roasted peanuts
1 recipe Peanut Dressing (below)
 
Peanut Dressing
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons reduced-fat creamy peanut butter                                           
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced

In a medium saucepan, bring broth to boiling; add uncooked bulgur. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until bulgur is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain if necessary. Meanwhile, prepare edamame according to package directions.
 
Transfer bulgur and edamame to a large bowl; stir in sweet pepper, carrot, red onion, and cilantro.  Divide spinach among four serving plates. Top with bulgur mixture; drizzle with Peanut Dressing. Sprinkle with peanuts.
 
Peanut Dressing: In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, 3 tablespoons reduced-fat creamy peanut butter, 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and 1 clove garlic, minced. Whisk constantly over medium-low heat about 3 minutes or until smooth and slightly thickened (mixture will appear curdled at first but will become smooth as it’s whisked over the heat). Makes about 2/3 cup.

2 comments:

  1. Don't let her fool you, it was delicious! Never finished a spinach salad before this one(much more of a mixed greens person) but the peanut dressing did it for me!

    ReplyDelete