Monday, August 13, 2012

#643: Roasted Tomato and Onion Blender Salsa



Blender salsas are my favorite to make because they are so ridiculously easy!  When I found this recipe I was super excited to try it.  This recipe calls for a ridiculous amount of serrano peppers though (20-25!), and I hate things hot and spicy, so I just eliminated them all and added some diced green chilis (in my opinion, jarred sliced jalapenos would work just fine too!). 

Since finding this recipe, I've made it twice now.  This last time I froze it in smaller jars so I can take out about 1 cup at a time.  I'm so excited that I found this recipe.  My brother, Michael is dying for me to give him some and is still waiting for some to arrive via ups!  (No I really didn't send it).

My second batch wasn't spicy at all so I tricked Allison into try it (I told her it was just like spaghetti sauce), and she loved it.  She even told me it was so good, "it made her heart happy."  I'm just glad I got her to eat a few servings of veggies!  :)

16 full size tomatoes (I used about 8 on-the-vine tomatoes)2-3 yellow onions
20-25 serrano peppers (I used 1 jar of diced green chilis)

8-10 cloves of garlic (I used about 5)
1-2 tbsp salt
1-2 bunches of cilantro (I used 1)
I also added a little lime juice


Cut the tomatoes and onions in half and place cut side up on a cookie sheet along with the peppers.  Roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  (Until the onions are translucent)
Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until relatively smooth (or however you like it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment