Sunday, August 5, 2012

#638: Easy Pizza Rolls


These were the ugliest pizza rolls I could have ever possibly made.  My goodness did these look bad...but they tasted good.  We ate them hot, cold and at room temperature.  Hot was definitely the best, but they were definitely ok at room temperature too.  I wouldn't really recommend eating these cold. 

Part of the reason these turned out so un-uniformly is because my pizza rolls (before slicing) were so thick they kept falling apart.  So I then decided to put half of it in the freezer to see if that would help, and I unrolled the other half, cut it in half and then re-rolled it into two smaller pieces.  The smaller pieces definitely cut better, but I had to stick those in the freezer for about 15 minutes as well to help them not fall apart while cutting. 

I would make these again, and next time would add more toppings than just cheese)...but I would NOT make these for a special occasion where they all were supposed to look uniformly and perfect!


I omitted the following ingredients and instead used a tube of store bought, pre-made pizza dough:
2 cups flour

Pinch of salt
6 TB butter, cut into cubes
2/3 cup of milk (or non dairy substitute)
plain flour

1/4 cup pizza sauce
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used mozzarella)
Any desired pizza toppings: ham, pineapple pieces, cut veggies, pepperoni, olives, cooked sausage, etc.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with non-stick paper.

I skipped this step: Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt. Cut butter into the flour with a knife.  Begin to add milk slowly, mix/knead.  Mix/knead until the dough starts to stick to itself, put on a floured surface. Kneed the dough until smooth, then...

(This is where I started): use a floured rolling pin to roll into a rectangle.
Spread the pizza sauce onto the dough, sprinkle with cheese and desired toppings.

On the long side start rolling up the dough into a log.  Cut the log into 12 pieces equally. (I got about 30 pieces from my dough).  Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven to cool. Will keep for 2 days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment