Saturday, August 25, 2012

#652: Healthy Sunday Brunch Casserole


I continue my search for a healthy, yummy, egg-y casserole.  This is getting closer for me!  :)  I really, enjoyed this and a lot of it for dinner.  I can't wait to eat the leftover for breakfast tomorrow.  I hope it tastes as good reheated as it does fresh. 

I halved this recipe since I was the only one planning on eating this.  When I made it, I also added cooked, chopped turkey breakfast sausage, and omitted the egg substitute, used 1/2 c milk, and about 1 c thawed hash browns. 

6 bacon strips
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
4 eggs
1 cup fat-free milk
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, eggs and milk. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, salt, pepper, dill, onion mixture and reserved bacon.

Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment