Monday, August 13, 2012

#647: Refried Bean Tostada (Not a Tostada IMO)


This recipe has been on my pinterest board for months!  I finally got around to making it for dinner tonight, and although I enjoyed eating it this way, no one else in my family did. 

They call this recipe a tostada...it's not!  Basically, you just heat the tortilla in a muffin tin so it takes the shape of a "shell."  Then fill with any desired taco fillings you want.  My family preferred to eat their tacos with soft shells instead.  I would eat my taco this way again though.  It was fun...and different...and took a little more effort to eat.  :)


Use caution when following the timing in the directions.  These shells do NOT need a combined total of 15-20 minutes in the oven.  After 10 minutes total our shells were VERY well done. 
6 (6-inch) flour or corn tortillas
3/4 c refried beans

3/4 c salsa
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (I omitted b/c it was in my salsa)
We also added ground turkey with taco seasoning
Any desired toppings: sour cream, avocado, tomatoes, etc.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Mist every other cup of a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Press a tortilla into each sprayed cup, flattening out edges, and bake until golden, about 8 minutes (in my oven it needed about 4 minutes).

Divide beans among tostadas, add taco meat, top with salsa and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and bake until warmed through, 7 to 10 minutes (Ours needed about another 4-5 minutes).

Place each tostada on a plate and sprinkle with cilantro. Top with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment