Sunday, October 23, 2011

#398: Crockpot Minestrone Soup

This photo was taken before the noodles were added...obviously.

I need to learn one thing: If a soup recipe calls for celery I just need to omit it.  I sadly have very little desire to eat this soup because of the celery in it.  I'm going to have to start picking it out.  It's not that I'm a celery snob, but it's definitely not my favorite vegetable.  I am glad I came across this recipe though.  It was super, super easy to make and my kitchen smelled comforting and yummy as it cooked on the counter.  It was really good too, but this picky meat eater actually preferred the very similar Zucchini Beef Soup instead. 

My picture doesn't look nearly as good as the original photo from Skinny Taste though, so make sure you head over to her blog and check out this recipe as well as many of her others. 


1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained, rinsed (cannellini or navy)
3 cups fat free chicken broth (I used 4 cups)
1 oz chunk of good Parmesan cheese rind (I omitted)
1 fresh rosemary sprig (I used dried)
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

salt and fresh pepper
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen (defrosted) spinach (I omitted)
2 cups cooked small pasta like ditalini or elbows (al dente)
extra Parmesan cheese to top

In a crockpot combine broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, herbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  One hour before the soup is done cooking, add zucchini and spinach.  Add cooked pasta last 10 minutes. (I added it to individual bowls so the noodles wouldn't get soggy in the leftovers).  Remove bay leaves, rosemary spring and Parmesan rind.  Season with salt and pepper if needed. 

1 comment:

  1. I made this and it is delicious! Next time, I will chop the rosemary or put it into a bag, as a lot of the leaves fell off the sprig and are not super pleasant to eat.

    ReplyDelete