Saturday, October 8, 2011

#390: Ground Beef Minestrone Soup



The original recipe for this soup called for ground Italian sausage, but I'm not a huge fan of sausage in my soup, so I substituted ground turkey instead.  I love that this recipe can be frozen, so I can have lunches to take to school.  This recipe made a huge batch so I saved some for myself and put the rest together to send to my sister who is having a new baby.  Hopefully with some good crusty bread, this can be a quick, healthy meal for them for dinner.  This soup was supposed to have small ditilini pasta but I had gemilini instead...and obviously this picture has a lot of pasta in it!  I really did have a lot more veggies than this photo shows.  :)

1 pound bulk Italian sausage (I used 1 lb ground turkey)
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped (I used 1 zucchini instead)
1 medium onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (I used petite diced tomatoes)
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon tomato paste (I used about 1/4 c tomato sauce)
1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
Shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese
In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.  In the same pan, saute the carrots, celery, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, tomato paste and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool soup; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months
.
To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Stir in ditalini; return to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 13 servings (3-1/4 quarts).

No comments:

Post a Comment