Saturday, October 8, 2011

#385: Savory Pumpkin Dip


This week we had a pumpkin themed recipe swap.  I figured most of the people would bring a sweet  pumpkin recipe so I was in search for something a little more savory.  When I came across this recipe I wasn't sure it was going to go over well, and when I told some co-workers about it, they didn't think it sounded good at all.   Well I am very happy to report that this is super yummy and was completely gone about half way through the evening.  I'm making it again to take to ravioli day tomorrow with my family since I still have all of the ingredients on hand (minus a bread bowl).  You could be healthy and eat it with veggies, but I enjoyed this with Frito's.  :) 

PS...Don't know where to find dried beef?  It's in the canned meat aisle next to the tuna.  It is SUPER salty though so you have to rinse and drain it in cold water.

12 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup chopped dried beef
1/3 cup chopped green pepper (I used yellow)
1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained (I omitted)
1 round loaf (1 pound) Italian or pumpernickel bread
Fresh vegetables, crackers or corn chips

In a bowl, beat cream cheese, pumpkin, taco seasoning and garlic powder until smooth. Stir in beef, peppers and olives. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Just before serving, cut top off bread; scoop out bread from inside, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (save the bread from inside to make croutons or bread crumbs or save for another use). Fill shell with cream cheese mixture. Serve with vegetables, crackers or corn chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment