Sunday, October 2, 2011

#383: Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup


We went to the pumpkin farm yesterday with Barry, Angela and Amber (in laws and my niece).  Before we left I got 6 butternut squash for $1 each!  I totally couldn't pass up that deal and will be going back in a few weeks to get more and stock up for winter!  Anyhow, I wanted to make something with one of the squash besides just roasting it (which I love) and didn't want to go back to the store for ingredients so I tried to find a recipe for things I had on hand.  Happily, I had almost everything for
this soup recipe

If you don't want to go out and buy garam masala (ingredient below), here is
a link to make it yourself.  I however, was too lazy to do that so I just threw in as many of the ingredients that I could. 

I really, really enjoyed this!  It reminded me of my grandma's lentils but a little sweeter and without the noodles.  Although some ditalini noodles would be excellent in this as well (just a little less healthy and not as "soupy."  Looking forward to leftovers for lunches this week.


1 cup dried lentils
2 1/2 cups butternut squash cubes (3/4-inch)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
(I omitted)
2 garlic cloves — minced
1 teaspoon garam masala (I used a mix of cumin, cinnamon, pepper and cloves)
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
(I used chicken broth)

Rinse and drain lentils. In a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker place lentils, squash, onion, carrot and celery. Sprinkle garlic and garam masala over vegetables. Pour broth over all.  Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.  Adjust seasoning to desired taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment