Friday, October 14, 2011

#394: Chocolate Banana Bread


I had just about all of the ingredients on hand for this recipe and of course, I had several bananas sitting on the counter completely over ripe.  So I knew this was the prefect recipe to use these bananas with.  Instead of making this in one large loaf pan, I decided to make it into three smaller pans so I could make two to take to my sister, and one to keep for us.  I don't think I have perfected the skill of banana bread yet because this was awfully chewy.  Allison really enjoyed it, Chloe didn't like it hardly at all (Allison was more than happy to eat her piece) and I thought it was just okay.  I'm still giving it to my sister and her family though.  :)  Hopefully they won't think it's too bad.  Unfortunately this made very thin loaves...as you can tell from the photo.
2 cups Banana Nut Cheerios® cereal
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Topping
1/2 cup Banana Nut Cheerios® cereal

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Place 2 cups cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag or between sheets of waxed paper; crush with rolling pin to make 3/4 cup. Set aside.

In large bowl, beat sugar and oil with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed. Beat in buttermilk, vanilla and egg just until blended; beat in bananas. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt until well mixed. Stir in 3/4 cup crushed cereal and chocolate chips. Spoon and spread evenly in pan.

Place 1/2 cup cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag or between sheets of waxed paper; coarsely crush with rolling pin. Sprinkle over batter in pan; press lightly.

Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment