Friday, October 14, 2011

#393: Brown Bag Burritos


I came across this recipe in a recent issue of Taste of Home and figured I'd give it a try.  I had to make some changes though because I knew I'd be pushing it if I tried to use two cans of refried beans with my family.  : )  This was SUPER easy to prepare and it literally took 2 minutes in the microwave to cook these.  I had dinner on the table SO fast!  I am definitely making these again to keep on hand for lunches or quick dinners. 

PS...My family enjoyed these!  The girls (especially Allison) loves burritos and Brian didn't seem to notice nor complain about the beans (he had no idea it was in there).

2 pounds ground beef
2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans (I used 1 can)
3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
1-1/3 cups enchilada sauce (I used 1 can)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
16 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
Optional toppings: shredded Mexican cheese blend, sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sliced ripe olives

In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Return to pan; add the beans, cheese, enchilada sauce, water, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Spoon 1/2 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Fold sides and end over filling and roll up. Wrap individually in paper towels, then foil. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. May be frozen for up to 2 months.

To use frozen burritos: Unwrap foil. Place paper towel-wrapped burritos on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 16 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment