Sunday, October 23, 2011

#397: Zucchini Beef Soup


Just looking at this photo makes me want to go get a bowl out of the freezer and start defrosting it!  I loved this soup.  I ate it all week for lunch and then froze the leftovers so I have some again for lunches in the future.  I made quite a few additions and changes to this original recipe though. 

1/2 pound lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced (I omitted)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I used a yellow pepper)
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used about 10 oz)
3 medium zucchini, cubed (I used 1 zucchini)
1/3 c chopped carrots
2 cups water (I used about 5 cups of water)
1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt, optional
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules (I used 2 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Pepper to taste
Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional

In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery, onion, carrots and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.  Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, water, Italian seasoning, salt if desired, bouillon, sugar and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until zucchini is tender.  Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.  I also served this over small cooked pasta such as elbow macaroni or ditalini noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment