Tuesday, June 21, 2011

#300: Homemade Potato Chips


My original plan was to just make baked potatoes to go with our Italian Chicken Packets.  But then I realized that the chicken packets were going to be recipe #299 and I did not want to end June only one recipe away from 300!  So as I was flipping through my July All You Magazine I saw a recipe for Homemade Potato Chips, and I knew it would be the perfect accompaniment to our chicken and recipe number 300!  (Thank you All You!) 

These were actually very easy to make.  I used my mandolin slicer to get all of the chips the same width and that definitely helped.  I would not have made this if I had to cut all of those potatoes into small slices.  I think I went a little overboard with the olive oil though but that's okay!  (In my defense, I had a new bottle of olive oil and the spout was wider than I was used to so it came out faster than expected). 
Also, until I started typing this blog post, I didn't realize I was supposed to peel the potatoes.  Maybe next time I'll try that...although it was nice to skip that step.

I loved these, although they really didn't take like regular potato chips.  I would still definitely make these again though.  But here's a hint....salt these while they are still a little undercooked.  The salt does not stick when they are crispy and done. 

4 large baking potatoes, peeled
1/4 c canola oil (I used olive oil)
Salt


Place racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 400ºF. Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick. In a bowl, toss potatoes with oil until coated.

Mist 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray. Place as many potato slices as you can fit in a single layer on sheets. Bake until golden brown, switching baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back twice, 18 to 20 minutes total.  Immediately sprinkle chips with salt and cool on wire racks. Repeat with remaining potato slices. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracy -- I think we have friends in common in Bloomington/Normal. Are you in MOPS? I read your posts because we are Facebook friends and I saw that you have this blog. How fun are you…. and brave. I love some of your recipes and I like your opinions --- thanks for sharing. I have a blog too…. http://dontforgettochecktheporkchops.blogspot.com/ Feel free to stop by and follow mine if you like…

    ReplyDelete