Monday, June 20, 2011

#296: Chicken Enchilada Pie


Another dinner from my Betty Crocker 300 Calorie Cookbook (see a theme here yet?).  This one got decent reviews.  It's a lot of cornbread and very little chicken--although if you ask me, it's too much chicken (but I'm a super picky chicken eater).  It was good, not great; but we would eat it again. 


9 oz frozen diced cooked chicken, thawed and drained (I used the refrigerated pre-cooked chicken fajita meat)
4.5 oz diced green chilies, undrained (I omitted)
1/2 c enchilada sauce
1/2 c Original Bisquick Mix (I used the light version)
1/2 c cornmeal
1/2 c skim milk
1 egg
11 oz corn with red and green peppers, drained (I used about 1/2 c)
1 c shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz) (I forgot to add)
1 medium tomato, chopped (I used salsa)

Place a sheet of foil on the lowest oven rack.  Heat oven to 400 degrees.  In a 10 inch skillet, cook chicken, chilies, and enchilada sauce over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until hot and bubbly.  Pour into ungreased 9 inch glass pie plate (I made mine in an 8x8 Pyrex dish.


In a medium bowl, stir Bisquick, cornmeal, milk and egg with wire whisk until blended.  Stir in corn.  Spoon over chicken mixture.  Place pie plate on rack above foil.  Bake uncovered 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean.  Top with cheese and tomato.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment