Monday, June 20, 2011

#298: Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse


We haven't swapped our cookbooks back yet from our Cookbook Swap a couple of months ago, so I pulled out the Getting Thin and Loving Food Cookbook and found a recipe for Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse.  I figured it would be a good recipe to try out on my book clubbers.  :)  Personally I enjoyed this, but I don't think it turned out right.  You are supposed to get the egg whites to soft peaks and after about 6 minutes of beating it I still couldn't get it so I gave up.  :)  I think it made a difference in the texture, as it was a little runny.  Or maybe that's how it's supposed to be but I thought it would be stiffer.  Still good though and definitely worth a second try.

Serves 10-12
4 tsp gelatin
1/4 c water
8 oz low fat cream cheese
1 c pureed strawberries (about 3 cups of whole strawberries = 1 c puree)
3 tbsp lemon juice
4 large egg whites
3/4 c sugar

In a small bowl, whisk together gelatin and water and let stand for 5-6 min, or until gelatin blooms (becomes Elmer's Glue thick) and is completely dissolved. 

In a food processor, pulse cream cheese, strawberry puree, lemon juice, and gelatin mixture until combine and completely smooth.  In a large bowl with an electric mixer, whip egg whites and sugar to soft peaks.  Pour cream cheese mixture into egg whites and gently fold them together. 

Pour into any dish that will hold the mixture (any bowl or 8x8 pan).  Refrigerate for 30 min or all day.  Serve cold.  Optional: Serve in a wineglass over sliced strawberries that have been tossed with sugar and a little lemon juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment