Monday, June 20, 2011

#297: Avocado Salad with Crispy Tortillas


I came across this recipe for Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Crispy Tortillas.  Everything about this recipe sounded great except for the shrimp...so I omitted it.  I also made a few more changes because I had extra ingredients on hand and decided to throw them in at the last minute.  I LOVED this.  The dressing is super refreshing and great for summer time.  Definitely making this again...even if I just make the dressing.

Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 romaine heart, thinly sliced
1/4 small cabbage, thinly sliced
1 avocado, sliced
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (I used walnuts)
I also added canned corn, diced tomatoes, and red onion


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Toss the tortilla strips with a drizzle of oil and a dash of salt. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the strips are golden and crispy. (I omitted the oil and just baked plain)

2. In a large salad bowl, combine the orange juice, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon of oil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add the romaine, cabbage, and avocado.  Toss to coat the salad evenly. Serve the salad topped with the tortilla strips and pumpkin seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment