Saturday, June 18, 2011

#292: Home-Style (Grilled) Chicken Dinner


Here's another recipe I found in my Betty Crocker 300 Calorie Cookbook.  I am not a huge fan of pan fried chicken, and I knew my family would not eat this with the gravy, so I chose to grill our chicken instead.  After grilling, I cut my chicken into bite size pieces and then tossed with some of the gravy in a sautee pan.  I poured my chicken and gravy over a bed of rice and sauteed fresh cauliflower, broccoli and peppers.  I definitely enjoyed this meal as well.  I can't really say for the rest of the family since they had grilled chicken and rice instead.  I don't think I would have enjoyed this as much had I used the frozen mixed veggies as the recipe suggested, but over the fresh veggies it was very good!

1 tbsp vegetable oil (I omitted)
1tsp minced garlic
1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used tenders)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
12 oz home-style chicken gravy
1 lb frozen broccoli florets, cauliflower and carrots (I used fresh veggies)
1/2 c halved grape or cherry tomatoes

In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add garlic, cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; add to skillet.  Cook 15-20 minutes turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut.  Remove from skillet.  Cover to keep warm.  (I omitted this step and grilled my chicken instead).


In the same skillet, mix gravy, frozen vegetables, and the tomatoes.  (I sauteed my veggies ina little olive oil).  Cover; cook 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. 


Return chicken to skillet.  Cover, simmer about 2 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment