Thursday, June 16, 2011

#290: Potato Salad Fake Out


Potato Salad?  Looks like it doesn't it? Nope...it's cauliflower.  There isn't any potato in this recipe.  A few weeks ago I found Hungry Girl's new TV show on Food Network.  I love Hungry Girl and was very excited to see her make low-cal recipes.  When I found this recipe, I knew it would be a great recipe to try with my family when we BBQ around the 4th of July.  As you can see, I didn't wait long enough to try it with them and made it to go with our Grilled Turkey Sausage last night.  Obviously, Mr. No Vegetables didn't try this.  I gave each of the girls a few small pieces of the cauliflower and they wouldn't try it either!  :(  I however, finished off most of the bowl.  Obviously I really enjoyed this side dish!  I would definitely make this again to take to a picnic or bbq and plan to still make it for my mom and sisters on the 4th of July!

1 large head cauliflower, chopped
1 1/2 cups fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
3 tbsp. Hellmann's/Best Foods Dijonnaise (I couldn't find Dijonnaise so I made my own mixture of mayo and dijon mustard)
1/2 envelope dry ranch dressing/dip mix
2 tbsp. fat-free non-dairy liquid creamer (I used skim milk)
1/4 tsp. salt
6 hard-boiled egg whites, chilled and chopped (I omitted)
2 celery stalks, diced
1 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped chives
3 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp. chopped dill (I omitted)
2 tbsp. chopped parsley, plus more, for optional garnish

Place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl with 1/3 cup water. Cover and microwave until soft, 6 - 8 minutes. Once the bowl is cool enough to handle, drain any excess water.  Put 2 cups of the cauliflower in a blender or food processor. (Set aside the bowl of remaining cauliflower.)

To the blender, add mayo, sour cream, Dijonnaise, dressing/dip mix, creamer, and salt. Puree or pulse until blended. Don't worry if the puree isn't completely smooth. Set aside. To the bowl with the remaining chopped cauliflower, add all remaining ingredients. Add pureed mixture from the blender and lightly stir to coat.  Refrigerate for several hours before serving.  Serves 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment