Saturday, November 15, 2014

#1, 371: Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Brownies


This week I hit my second goal weight...the one that my coach set for me and I thought was completely unrealistic and unattainable.  Obviously it wasn't.  :)  One of my "rewards" for reaching my goal was to make these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Brownies that have been torturing me on my Pinterest board.  I've been dying to make/eat them!!  So...I gave in and made them.  Now that I've got it out of my system of thinking about them non-stop, it's time to move on and get back on my FoodFuels plan and start eating healthy again and working towards my next goal weight (another -5 lbs + hoping some toning now!).

Although I really, really loved this recipe, it is so rich, so you can cut this into pretty small squares.  I also think it needs more peanut butter cups (I used the mini's) and there wasn't a peanut butter cup in every piece like I think there should be!  I also think I have this craving out of my system now!  And my book club friends and co-workers will be enjoying the leftovers!    


1 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
3/4 cup butter 
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups white sugar (I used 1 cup)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
8 regular-sized Reese's peanut butter cups, chopped (Or 1 cup mini Reese's peanut butter cups)

Rice Krispie Topping:
1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 tbsp. butter 
1 1/2 cups rice krispie cereal (I used about 3 cups)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

Combine 3/4 cup chocolate chips and butter in a large bowl. Microwave on high heat for 45 seconds. Stir and then microwave in 15 second increments and stir again until mixture is smooth.  Stir in sugars until well combined.

Add the vanilla extract and stir until smooth.  Whisk in eggs. Fold in the flour until just combined.  Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and then pour batter into pan.  Bake for 25 minutes or until center is set. 

Remove from oven and sprinkle chopped peanut butter cups and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the brownies and continue baking for 3-4 more minutes.

Remove brownies and let cool.

Prepare topping by combining peanut butter, chocolate chips and butter in a medium bowl.
Microwave on high heat for 1 minute. Stir and then microwave in 15 second increments and stir until mixture is smooth.  Add rice cereal and mix until fully coated.


Spread cereal mixture in a smooth layer on top of brownies and then cover and refrigerate for at least 90 minutes or overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment