Sunday, February 4, 2018

#2,065: Easy Soft Pretzel Bites


Need a last minute Super Bowl snack?  This one was so easy, I served it to my family as part of their lunch (we did a bunch of leftover things), and they asked for me to make it again tonight.  The only thing  I will do differently next time is to be more generous with the salt.  I thought I was salting it with plenty of salt, but it still could have used more.  I decided against making homemade cheese dip and used some leftover nacho cheese sauce we already had in the fridge.  This was a huge hit with my crew!  

1 can refrigerated biscuit dough
4 c. water
1/4 c. baking soda
1 large egg, beaten
Coarse salt

Cheese Dip (I omitted these ingredients and used a store bought cheese dip instead)
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
2 c. Cheddar cheese
Salt, pepper, and cayenne, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.

Quarter each biscuit then roll piece into a ball. Pinch to seal. (I didn't pinch mine.  They seemed good enough just rolling them)

In a medium saucepan, combine water and baking soda. Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the rolled balls and cook for 1 minute. (I did about 10 balls at a time).  Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to baking sheet, making sure the pretzels aren't touching. Brush beaten egg over each pretzel. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. (Mine only needed 10 minutes).  Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

(I skipped this step and just heated up our store bought cheese sauce in the microwave!) Meanwhile, make cheese sauce. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer. When the milk begins to thicken, stir cheese, whisking constantly until sauce is smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne.

No comments:

Post a Comment