Monday, February 5, 2018

#2,069: Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa

I have to admit this is close to the original recipe but not exactly....but that's because I am NOT taking the time to broil a poblano pepper!  I don't love heat in my salsa that much, and I'm just too lazy for that.  So I omitted the poblano but made it with the rest of the ingredients as listed below.  I loved this.  I ate this on top of a salad, with tacos, and as a filling for a quesadilla.  I'm a fan!  But I love pretty much all corn salsas so it's not hard to impress me with this.  Maybe someday I'll try this with a roasted poblano...but this just wasn't the day/time for it.  :)

16 ounces white sweet corn, fresh or frozen and defrosted (I used canned)
1 large poblano pepper + 1 teaspoon high heat oil (I omitted)
1 small red onion (approx. 3/4 cup)
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
juice of 2 limes + 1 lemon (approx. 1/2 cup)
large pinch sea salt

Start by lining a cookie sheet with tinfoil and then set the oven to broil. Using your hands, coat the poblano pepper with the oil and place on the cookie sheet. Broil the pepper in the oven for 5-7 minutes on each side, while keeping a close eye to make sure it doesn’t burn. Once both sides are brown, remove from the oven and set aside in a large bowl. Cover the bowl and allow the pepper to sit for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile prepare the salsa by finely chopping the red onion, jalapeno pepper (core and seeds removed), and fresh cilantro. Place into a large bowl and set aside.

Once the pepper has cooled, put on dish gloves and use your hands to peel the outer layer of skin off. Next cut off the top and slice the flesh away from the core. Finely chop the pepper and place it in the bowl with the corn.

Pour the citrus juices into the bowl along with a large pinch of sea salt and stir until well combined. Taste test and add more salt if needed.

Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment