Monday, February 5, 2018

#2,066: Roasted Carrot-Orange Muffins


I had quite a bit of leftover roasted carrots and couldn't eat them all myself, so I wanted to find a way to get my kids to eat them too!  I pureed the leftover roasted carrots and set out to find a recipe that would be easy and that my kids would enjoy.  My kids LOVED these muffins.  Personally I did too.  :)  I only used some of the carrot puree I made, so I have another batch ready to go in my freezer.  My kids had no idea there was pureed roasted carrots in these!  My 11 year old even told her younger sister, "Don't pretend like you don't like these!  You loved them until she told you there was carrots in it."  Preach sister!  This recipe only made 10 large muffins, so I probably would double the batch next time...at least for my family.  These will be great to bake and then put in the freezer for a quick breakfast.

I did not include the directions on how to make the roasted carrots, so if you need those instructions, I'd definitely check out the original website for this recipe.  

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup skim/low-fat milk 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid-state (I only had 5 tbsp left, so I added 1 tbsp of olive oil)
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar (I only used 1 cup)
1 teaspoon orange zest (I actually added 3 drops of Young Living Vitality Orange oil to the milk/vanilla mixture)
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup roasted carrot puree, packed 

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit degrees. Line standard muffin pan with liners or grease with butter/baking spray.

In medium sized bowl, whisk together flours, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

In measuring cup, whisk together milk and vanilla extract. Set aside.

(I skipped this step) In small bowl, combine sugar and zest. Using fingertips, rub zest into sugar until fragrant.

In stand mixer bowl, combine oil and sugar. Using whisk attachment, mix together until fluffy and light in color. Turn down speed to low and beat in eggs one at a time, until incorporated.
Turn mixer to low speed and add carrot puree until just blended.

Add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with 2 additions of the milk/vanilla mixture. Beat at low speed until just combined.

Using spoon or muffin scoop, divide batter evenly among muffin pan—it should fill each up about 7/8 full.

Bake at 350 degrees (on center rack) for 24-27minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Place muffin tin on cooling rack and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan, place on cooling rack, and allow to come to room temperature. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment