Saturday, February 10, 2018

#2,670: Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs

 

I finally did it...I got an Instant Pot!  Everyone around me is not only getting an Instant Pot, but raving about how much they love it.  It's not that I'm opposed to getting one, but a few years ago I got a pressure cooker and have only used it twice.  Both times I was scared to death that I was going to send myself to the hospital or blow up my kitchen, and both times, I wasn't impressed with our meal.  So I was equally as nervous about trying an Instant Pot too.  I had to watch a Youtube video THREE times to see how to test it with only water, and was still afraid/convinced I wasn't going to do it correctly.  So, I knew I'd have to start with something easy (and not our dinner!) for my first real recipe trial.  I decided to use it to hard boil eggs.  

Let's be honest, I don't even really like eggs, but for less than $1, I could try it and see how it turned out.  I knew before I even opened it up that at least one must have cracked open because I could smell the eggs, and sadly I was correct.  Of the 12 eggs I tried to hard boil, only SIX of them came out without cracks.  I took all 12 eggs (cracked ones and all) and put them into an ice water bath for 5 minutes before drying them off and trying to peel them. 

I have tried twice in my life to make deviled eggs, and I will never ever offer to make them again because peeling the shells off the eggs is pure torture to me!  BUT....after trying to make them in the Instant Pot, I WOULD try it one more time.  The peels really did peel off quite easily AND every egg that I've cut open so far is perfectly hard boiled.  (Usually mine are just slightly under cooked or already getting that over-cooked green color to the yolk). 

I'm going to give this another try to see if I get a better success rate out of them not cracking, because this would be fabulous to use at Easter time.  I hard boil at least 7 dozen eggs for us to dye, and this would be much easier (not necessarily faster, but easier for sure!).  


Here's the recipe I used/followed to make these hard boiled eggs. 

1 dozen eggs
1 cup of water

Place rack inside of an Instant Pot. Place eggs on wire rack. Add 1 cup of water. Seal the Instant Pot. Set pressure cooker on high for seven minutes. When the cooking time is done, you can release the pot with an instant release. Carefully remove the eggs from the pot (they will be very hot), and place in an ice water bath (I kept mine in the ice water for 5 minutes).



No comments:

Post a Comment