Sunday, February 25, 2018

#2,679: Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli and Rice

I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this recipe, but I liked the idea of making it in my Instant Pot so I wanted to give it a try.  Here is the major downfall to this recipe: you FIRST steam the broccoli and THEN cook the rice and when done, mix it all together.  I know could have made this faster on the stove with 2 pots going.  BUT I made it anyways.  I liked this recipe, and I would certainly make it again ,but it needs way more flavor.  I think I'm going to try cooking the rice in chicken or veggie broth instead of water and I would use a more flavorful cheese (I had mild cheddar on hand...it needs at least sharp cheddar).  I also wanted to eat this as a main dish, so I would need to add some grilled chicken sausage too.

1/2 lb broccoli, cut into small/medium florets
1 C. uncooked white rice
1 1/2 C. water
1/4 C. milk, or more as needed
1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste

Steam your broccoli: In your clean, empty Instant Pot, place your steamer basket atop your trivet, and pour in 1 C. of water.  Place your broccoli on the steamer basket. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the valve. Push STEAM and bring down the timer to 1 minute.
Once the pot beeps done, immediately release the pressure .  Carefully remove the steamer basket and set that broccoli to the side. Dump any remaining water out of the Instant Pot and place it back in the appliance.

To the newly emptied pot, add your rice and water. Place the lid back on the Instant Pot and seal the valve. Push manual (high pressure) and reduce the timer to 7 minutes.  At the end of the 7 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally for 3 minutes. Then release any remaining pressure that is left and carefully open the lid.

Add the milk, shredded cheddar, garlic powder, and salt and give it a good stir. Gently fold in the broccoli. Serve with extra cheese, if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment