Monday, February 5, 2018

#2,067: Pumpkin Banana Bread (Eggless)


I had 2 very, very ripe bananas on my counter needing to be used up.  I'm on a healthier bread/muffin kick lately so I knew I wanted to sneak a veggie in as well, and I had a can of pumpkin puree in my pantry that would totally fit the bill for that!  I've seen this recipe many times so I actually had to go back and search my blog to see if I've made this before.  I was quite surprised that I had not!

I let the kids try this after they got home from school and they were all excited to try it.  I think the chocolate chips on top were their main motivator.  But they all ate it and said they enjoyed it.  And when I offered up a second small piece, they all ran over to get another one.  I'd say that's a very good sign.

As you can see from the photo this is a little over done.  I kind of forgot it was still in the oven.  Because I over cooked it, it's a bit dense but it is still good.  I would definitely make this again.  And I love loaf recipes because it's less mess to clean up!  I hate cleaning out muffin tins!

2 cups flour 
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger 
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cup mashed, overripe banana 
1/2 cup pumpkin puree 
1/2 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
2 tbsp sweetener of choice (I used 1 tbsp sugar)
1/3 cup oil OR milk of choice
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional (I used minis)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan, and set aside. 

In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. 

Whisk all liquid ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour wet into dry and stir to form a batter.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  Smooth into the prepared pan. If desired, press some extra chocolate chips into the top.

Bake on the center rack 30 minutes, then do not open the oven door but turn off the heat and leave in the closed oven for 10 additional minutes. Because ovens may vary, if it’s still under cooked after this time then just turn the heat back on and cook–checking every 5 minutes–until firm. (I definitely had to let mine cook longer, but I forgot about it so that's why it looks a little too brown!)

Let cool completely, then cover and refrigerate overnight.

Taste and texture will be much better the second day (and even better the third day as it will get sweeter). Leftovers can be sliced and frozen if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment