Saturday, February 10, 2018

#2,671: Coconut Rice and Peas

Ok, I'll admit, this recipe is just a tiny bit weird.  I was definitely intrigued by it when I came across it in a recent issue of Food Network Magazine.  It combines 3 of my favorite things, coconuts, peas, and rice.  So I couldn't help but give it a try.

Although it IS a slightly bit weird, I actually really enjoyed it.  I felt like it needed something, more so I added in some sliced green onions.  I also wanted to make this more of a meal, so I added some chopped up cooked chicken sausage as well.  I really liked this.  It's not my favorite thing that I've ever eaten, but it was good.  And I think this would make a great side dish to something like jerk or Thai chicken, or maybe some grilled shrimp.


1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 c sweetened 
shredded coconut (I used raw, unsweetened)
salt, pinch
red pepper flakes (to taste) 
3 cups frozen brown rice
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup coconut water (NOT coconut milk)
Cilantro, chopped (to taste)
I also added some sliced green onion

Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shredded coconut and a pinch each of red pepper flakes and salt; toast, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in frozen brown rice, frozen peas and coconut water. Cover, reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Stir in some chopped cilantro (and green onion).

No comments:

Post a Comment