Sunday, February 25, 2018

#2,682: Crispy Garlic-Sage Potatoes


I had some fresh sage in my fridge and some baby yellow potatoes on my counter needing to be used up, so I found this recipe to use them with!  The original recipe used sliced Yukon gold potatoes, but I just used my baby gold potatoes instead and was able to skip the step of slicing them up.  I'm not sure why this recipe says to bake these on the bottom rack.  My gut was telling me this was a bad idea so I kept them on the top rack until the last 10 minutes.  As you can see from the very dark specks in this photo, the sage and garlic pretty much burned.  Keep this on the top rack!  It was still good though and yes I'd make this again.  

4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes cut into wedges
1/2 c olive oil
6 chopped sage leaves

2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
8 garlic cloves, smashed



Original directions: Put a baking sheet on the bottom oven rack and preheat to 375 degrees F. Peel 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes and cut into wedges. Toss with 1/2 cup olive oil, 6 chopped sage leaves, 2 sprigs sage, 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spread on the hot baking sheet and roast 30 minutes. Stir, then add 8 smashed garlic cloves; continue roasting until golden, about 30 minutes. Increase the temperature to 400 degrees F and cook until crisp, 15 more minutes. Season with salt.


What I did: I cooked mine at 400 degrees on the TOP rack for 20 minutes.  Then I added a few more chopped sprigs of sage and about 1 tbsp minced garlic and moved it to the BOTTOM rack for 10 minutes until they were done cooking.  Next time I'll keep them on the top rack and only add the garlic at the very end.  Although I loved the crispy sage, my family thought it was a bit too overdone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment